Monday, November 7, 2011

Ruffle Curtains

I really love Anthropologie!  When the ruffle shower curtain came out, I about died. I saw a few tutorials on how to make cheap shower curtains. It got me thinking...wouldn't just plain color curtains look good in a little girls room? I had to try it. WARNING... This isn't something you can do in a day or two if you have children.
First I went to target while they where having a sale and bought a cheap pair of curtains in white, for the base of my project.
Next, I bought a queen size sheet in white (the same color as the curtain).
I went home and started measuring. I figured I could get 13 ruffles on each panel. Then I started cutting. I hope you have a rotary cutter, it's easier to work with. Then I hemmed one end of the long strip of fabric and the two small sides. *this was a lot of ironing and sewing*. Then I fixed my sewing machine to do the longest stitch it can do, and I also played with the tension and made it so the top was really loose. Sew the unhemmed side of each strip of fabric in a straight line Don't back stitch!!! Once that was all done you start the ruffle. Pull on the loose piece of thread, and start making the fabric ruffle.
I pulled out the curtain base and with a pencil I marked where each ruffle will go. I drew a straight line and pinned each ruffle piece of fabric to each line. (make sure you over lap the pieces of fabric so you don't see the ruffle sewn edge). Once you get all of the fabric pieces sewn on this is what it looks like...
I think in total I spent $25 for both panels.  Not too bad if I do say so myself!  I hope this helps you out. If you have questions about sewing these feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment